Monday, January 8, 2018

what it feels like, seventeen years in a shower stall

called homeostasis,
step in the shower
let the lukewarm water smear 
temperature and time 

step in the shower
The tap water gushes, hushes, rushes
The tap water quenches your sweet 
and smooth clarity coats your throat
and minerals don’t come off your tongue

homeostasis.
Replace what you have lost.
take back what you have given.
a tongue for a tongue 
an eye for an eye
soft water and hard water. 

open your mouth
swallow a whole swallow
your salt tastes better, but your tears run off your cheeks.
Instead drink minerals that don’t come off your tongue,
your throat, 
your insides—

sometimes when I try to reach
my back with the soap bubbles floating on my hand
sometimes when I twist
and turn
I feel the lining of my belly 
scrape
against stalactites, stalagmites.

No comments:

Post a Comment